Book a Property Valuation




Proud Members of the Guild of Property Professionals

Tenants Letting Guide

What’s the difference between a Fully Managed property and Introduction Only?
If your property is let fully managed, then your assigned property manager will be your first point of contact for all maintenance and repair issues and Burn & Warne Lettings & Management will act on behalf of the landlord. Introduction Only means that Burn & Warne find tenants for the property and arranges the paperwork, then the Landlord takes over the management and in this scenario you would contact the landlord direct.


Fully furnished? Unfurnished? What's the difference?
Properties are let with different levels of furnishings. Broadly speaking, unfurnished means you can expect carpets, curtains and white goods only. Fully furnished includes sitting room furniture, a dining table and chairs, beds, etc, and, sometimes other household bits and pieces. Burn & Warne will issue you with a list showing what the property includes.


How binding is the Tenancy Agreement that I enter into?
A Tenancy Agreement governs all rents, which is a legal and binding document. You will be committed to paying rent until the end of the agreed term and you could be liable to legal action if you break the terms of the agreement. If your circumstances should change for any reason during your tenancy, it is a good idea to tell us as soon as possible.


How much are Burn and Warne's fees?
We charge a one-off Administration/Reference Fee that is payable when you have decided to proceed with the property of your choice. This fee covers our costs in the referencing and administration of your application. Please contact us personally for details.


Do I need insurance?
Yes! Your contents need to be insured, as the landlord's insurance covers the actual property/goods, but not your possessions.


What about Pets?
Most landlords are not keen on pets and often as not there will be a clause forbidding pets. Still, if you can't live without the family cat, dog or hamster then please let us know and we will do our utmost to find you a suitable property to let that has no pet restrictions.


Who do you contact for references?
It is in everyone's interests to ensure that you can comfortably afford the rent on your chosen property. The checks are much as you'd expect (verification of employment, past addresses etc). We will also ask for a bank, employer and previous landlord reference. Sometimes a guarantor may be required. Burn & Warne are on hand with any questions you may have and the sooner the references can be completed, the faster you can move in.


When might I need a Guarantor?
If your financial reference is weak for any reason, we could ask for a guarantor to support your tenancy. This is a serious commitment, as the guarantor will be as responsible as the tenant for all monies due and obligations agreed for the tenancy. Guarantors need to have strong financial references to show that they will not suffer hardship should they be called upon to pay on your behalf.


How much is the deposit and will I get it back?
This is a sum equal to six weeks rent. So a rent of £800pcm will require a deposit of £1,200. This is held in the Tenancy Deposit Scheme for Regulated Agents (TDSRA).

It guarantees protection of the deposit; and a fair, independent and expert assessment and settlement of any disputes, if any, over its return at the end of a tenancy.


How long from choosing a property to moving in?
Once you have made your choice, allow 7-14 days before you move in. This allows time for references and the preparation of the property although the timescale can be much shorter. However, it may be that the previous tenant has yet to move out, in which case more time may be required. Burn & Warne Lettings will keep you informed all along the way.


How do I pay my rent?
Rent is paid monthly by standing order/direct debit from your bank. This is set up to be withdrawn from your account 3 days before your rent day so that it arrives on the due date. This is a worry-free way of ensuring you never fall behind in your rental payments. Be sure to tell us if your circumstances change, for instance you change banks or your employment situation changes as we can then help you to protect your tenancy. The last thing we want is for you to fall into arrears.


How much money do I need to move into a property?
Before your tenancy begins we need to receive your first month's rent and deposit and reference fees in cleared funds, such as a bankers' draft or building society cheque. Personal cheques can only be used if they are paid seven days in advance, in order to clear. You will be given details in writing before taking up the tenancy.


Who pays the council tax and other bills?
You do! All utility accounts at the property will have been closed in the Landlord's name. In all fully managed properties we will let the companies know that you are moving in and you will be responsible for opening an account in your name. We will agree the meter readings with you at check in and at check out, so that there is no confusion over liabilities.

Book a Property Valuation